Monday, July 27, 2009

YRPA Blog Launch!

Hmm ... I see no welcome message yet, so I'll take it upon myself to welcome folks to the YRPA blog.

Young Retired Persons of America (hereinafter "YRPA") is the brainchild of one Wayne Pan - the Original Young Retiree Extraordinaire ... and recreational environmentalist, world traveler and photographer (what have I left out, Wayne?). After recruiting me to "join" his "organization," Wayne and I concluded that YRPA really could be of great use to young professionals that have opted out of full-time work for whatever reason and however long. As Wayne so eloquently put it: "The goal of the organization is to provide networking, social, and meeting opportunities for members, and to help create opportunities for young professionals to trade experiences, build friendships, share insights, and find support and understanding while 'retired.'" For instance, it is a way for one young retiree to get together with another for a long lunch, followed by a leisurely stroll through a Japanese market and a couple hours of serious discussion at a local coffee shop about the guilty feelings of a young retiree about taking an early retirement.

I certainly felt delighted, relieved, and many other good emotions, when I found others of my generation that had made the choice not to work full time, and I think others will, too.

So here we are with a small membership of four thus far (hello Wayne, Ludo and Young!), a blog to discuss topics that maybe only we retirees are interested in, and a LinkedIn group for us to get to know one another better. I don't know how much longer I will be retired, but since I have no solid plans yet to go back to work, I am enjoying the company of my fellow YRPA members and pursuing my hobbies with the gusto they deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment